Ahh, the crisp autumn air, the falling of the leaves tells me that fall is in full swing. Autumn is my second favorite season. It conjures up feelings of warmth and comfort when I think of hot beverages, baked goods and cozy blankets. There's nothing like sipping cider on the front porch while solving a mystery.
As many of you know, our latest Murder Mystery case took us to The Fox on the Rocks Tavern. A place where beverages flowed all throughout the year. In honor of the season, we've collected a couple of fall drink recipes from Pinterest that would likely be served at The Fox on the Rocks to designated drivers.
These ones are non-alcoholic, but your welcome to get creative and make each concoction your own. Enjoy.
Homemade Apple Cider
What you will need:
– 10 apples, quartered
– 3/4 cup white sugar
– 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
– 1 tablespoon ground allspice
Place apples in a large stockpot and add enough water cover by at least 2 inches. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, and allspice. Bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, for 1 hour.
Cover pot, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 hours.
Strain apple mixture though a fine mesh sieve. Discard solids. Drain cider again though a cheesecloth lined sieve. Refrigerate until cold.
You can also make this recipe in the crockpot!
Slow Cooker Gingerbread Latte
· 8 cups whole milk
· 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
· 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
· 3 teaspoons ground ginger
· 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
· 2 cinnamon sticks
· pinch cloves
· 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
· 3 1/2 cups strongly brewed coffee or espresso
· whipped cream, graham cracker crumbs, caramel sauce, and gingerbread cookies for garnish (optional)
Add all ingredients to a large slow cooker.
Cook on low for 3 hours or until heated through. Monitor to make sure it doesn't boil.
Turn slow cooker to warm setting and cook for another 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Stir again right before serving and taste.
5. Dip rims of cups in caramel sauce and then in graham cracker crumbs to create the look above (optional). Top with fresh whipped cream and caramel syrup if desired. For extra fun, top with gingerbread cookies.
Slow Cooker Peppermint
· 2 cups heavy cream
· 5 1/2 cups skim milk
· 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
· 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
· 2 cups good quality milk chocolate chips
· marshmallows and mini candy canes for garnish (optional)
Combine all ingredients (except garnish) in a slow cooker set to low heat.
Let cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. When chocolate is fully melted and the drink is hot to taste, it's done!
Top with marshmallows and mini candy canes for some extra fun.